Family Class Application
Members of the family class and their family members must meet the following requirements:
– They must have an eligible relative, or spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner who meets the requirements for sponsorship.
– They must prove their identity, age and relationship among themselves and to their sponsor.
– The applicant and family members must not be described in any of the inadmissible classes.
– They must have valid and subsisting passports or travel documents.
Sponsoring other eligible relatives
You may be able to sponsor certain relatives to immigrate to Canada under the Family Class if you’re at least 18 years old and a:
– Canadian citizen or
– person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
– permanent resident of Canada
If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:
– support your relative financially when they arrive
– be able to meet basic needs for yourself and your relative, such as:
food, shelter, clothing
– make sure your relative doesn’t need social assistance
Sponsoring spouses and dependent children
You can become a sponsor if you are:
– at least 18 years old
– a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:
– If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative(s) become(s) a permanent resident.
– You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.
– able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability.
– can provide for the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring (and in some limited situations, that you meet the low-income cut-off).